What is an invoice?
Invoices collect the charges that have been placed on your clients from lessons and ad hoc charges. When you generate invoices, you can review each one before sending them to your clients. Your clients can see any sent invoices and pay for them from their account.
How do I create invoices?
- Navigate to Accounting > Draft Invoices, click the button 'Generate' and select the date range for which charges will be generated.
- Uninvoiced lessons and ad hoc charges dated within this range will be included in the generated invoices. Lessons must be marked as 'Complete' or 'Cancelled but Chargeable' to appear on the invoice. If you also wish to generate payment orders for your tutors for items that have not yet been paid for, you can tick the select box on the form.
- Both invoices and payment orders will be generated when doing this. The same process can also be done from in 'Draft Payment Orders'.
How to generate Invoices
Invoices collect the charges that have been placed on your clients from lessons and ad hoc charges. When you generate invoices, you can review each one before sending them to your clients.
Step by step process
- Once you have completed lessons (lessons marked as ‘Complete’), you are ready for invoicing your clients. Invoicing is a 3 step process, and no invoices will be sent to clients until the final stage.
- Go to Accounting > Draft Invoices > Regenerate
- Enter your cutoff start and end date to generate invoices for all completed lessons between and including those dates that haven’t already been invoiced. When you're done, generate them.
- Once this process has finished, you can see all the invoices generated under ‘Draft invoices’. You can view individual invoices by clicking on the invoice recipient to see a breakdown of the invoice and view a PDF preview.
- You can also see the lesson reports that will be sent to the client along with the invoice in the PDF preview.
- If the invoice is ready to send, stage invoices by clicking the 'stage' button on the invoice breakdown, by clicking on the small arrow on the list, or by using the checkboxes.
- The final step is to send the invoices to the clients, by clicking the ‘Send Confirmed Invoices’ button.
- The client now receives an email telling them how much they owe, as well as the invoice and lesson reports attached.
- Like all TutorCruncher emails, the email is customisable in 'Email Definitions'.
How do I review invoices?
Navigate to Accounting > Draft Invoices to review your new invoices. Clicking on an invoice will allow you to see which lessons and ad hoc charges are on the invoice. By clicking on a charge you will reveal the flow of money for that particular charge including the payer, payee of the commission and of the tutor's fee. You can remove any items you don't want on the invoice and view the PDF that will be sent to your client. If any of the items are edited, the changes will be reflected in the draft. However, the items will not be editable once the invoice is sent.
How do I send invoices?
To send invoices to clients, navigate to Accounting > Draft Invoices. Confirm the invoices using the right arrow buttons, use the checkboxes to confirm several invoices at once, or go to an invoice and click the the 'Confirm invoice' button. Then send all your staged invoices by clicking the 'Send Staged Invoices' button. Note that any items on a raised invoice cannot be changed or edited. (Items can still be deleted, but remember to use this feature responsibly to avoid mismanaging your accounts.)
If your client has a valid email address, the invoice will be emailed to them, and it will be available in their 'Invoices' tab in their TutorCruncher account. Note that depending on your branch settings, emails may not be sent for invoices which can be auto paid.
How do I turn off free lessons appearing on invoices?
In System > Settings > Accounting Settings > General you can select the option 'Ignore free Lessons' to change this.
Can I send an invoice without sending an email?
Yes, all invoices can be sent to each client without having to send an email notification. This can be useful if you are reissuing a corrected/already paid invoice and you do not wish to confuse your client. Your clients can still see any Raised Invoices and pay for them by logging in.
- Navigate to Accounting > Draft Invoices and confirm the invoice(s) that you wish to send in the same way as is explained above.
- Once the invoice(s) is confirmed, click Raise Confirmed Invoice(s) and the top of the page.
- A popover will appear to indicate which invoice(s) will be raised and sent to your clients. With this popover, you can choose to send them a corresponding e-mail notification and the checkbox to do so will be enabled by default. If you do not wish your client to receive an email, just uncheck the box corresponding to that client.
Uncheck the clients who you do not wish to receive an invoice email.
- Click 'Raise Invoices' to complete the process.
- If you go to Accounting > Raised Invoices and select an individual invoice, you can see in the 'Related Emails' section at the bottom of the invoice page that no email has been sent.
Can an invoice be split if there is more than one student?
Yes, if you are the paying client for more than one student, you can have your invoices split into one page per student if you wish. To do this, navigate to System > Settings > Accounting Settings > General, and enable the box for ‘Split invoices by student’. With this enabled, lesson details will appear on an individual page for each student on the sent invoice.