What is an ad hoc charge?
Ad hoc charges are any charges that are not lesson-based. For example, these could be expenses, registration or consultation fees. Like lesson charges, these can be multi-directional with some or all of the charge being passed on to a tutor and a share of the commission being passed to an affiliate.
How to add an Ad Hoc Charge
Ad hoc charges are any charges that are not lesson-based. For example, these could be expenses, registration or consultation fees. Like lesson charges, these can be multi-directional with some or all of the charge being passed on to a tutor.
Step by step process
- Ad hoc charges are one-off charges and are meant to be used for items like registration fees, travel expenses and one-off payments to tutors.
- To create an ad hoc charge, go to Activity > Ad Hoc Charges and click 'Add Ad Hoc Charge'.
- Enter a description, as well as charges to the client and payments to the tutor.
- You can determine a category, the associated users, and tax settings.
- More information is available from the link below.
- You can also add an expense to a job
- Click the 'Add Ad Hoc Charges' button on a job’s page. This will link the charge to this job.
- Tutors can also submit these expenses. If you are a tutor trying to add an expense, go here.
How do I create an ad hoc charge?
Administrators can create ad hoc charges on jobs and lessons. Navigate to the job's or lesson's details page and click the plus icon on the 'Ad Hoc Charge' panel. Fill in the appropriate details including the AHC category and client/tutor/affiliate. Only users on the job/lesson can be placed on the AHC.
You can also create AHCs at Activity > Ad Hoc Charges. Click the 'Add Ad Hoc Charge' button and fill in the appropriate details. An AHC created in this way is not linked to any specific job or lesson.
Can I add a negative amount onto an Ad Hoc Charge?
You can indeed! When creating an ad hoc charge on a job, you can add a minus amount that would be paid to the tutor. When raising the payment order for that tutor, that ad hoc charge would be deducted from their total payment that was due.
Why Can't I Edit my Ad Hoc Charge?
There are a few reasons that an Ad Hoc Charge may not be available to edit.
- It is associated with a Raised Invoice (Paid or Unpaid) - You will need to void this Invoice in order to edit the charge.
- It is associated with a Raised Payment Order (Paid or Unpaid) - You will need to void this Payment Order in order to edit the charge.
- It is listed on a job which has been marked as Finished - You will need to change the job's status back to In Progress in order to be able to edit the charge.
How Do I Invoice Users in Different Currencies using Ad Hoc Charges?
Have a client that you want to bill in a foreign currency? You can charge clients using other currencies by setting up Alternative Currencies for your Ad Hoc Charges.
How to set up charging through a foreign currency:
- Go to System > Settings > Accounting Settings > General
- Check the box for "Charge clients in other currencies"
- Go to Activity > Ad Hoc Charges
- Click Add Ad Hoc Charge in the top left
- Tick the box for "Use Alternative Currency"
- Select one of 22 global currencies from our dropdown menu
- Enter your charge to the client
- You're done, this alternate currency charge is ready to be invoiced for!
Important Things to know about TutorCruncher's Alternative Currency charges:
- Alternative currencies apply only to client charges, not to tutor payment, any tutor payments entered in these Ad Hoc Charges will be in the branch default currency (this also does not apply to affiliates).
- Exchange rates are based on the daily exchange rate as set by the internationally recognised Open Exchange Rates (the same used by Stripe themselves) and these exchange rates are calculated on the day that the Ad Hoc Charge is created (not the day the invoice is drafted/sent out).
- Alternate currency charges will appear on separate invoices and will need to be generated and raised separately.
- A 2% flat fee will be applied by Stripe to all Card Payments of alternate currency invoices in order to be converted into the default branch currency.
How does TutorCruncher keep track of charges?
Charges in TutorCruncher correspond to those from lessons and ad hoc charges. Invoices sum up the revenue from your clients, while payment orders track your payments to tutors and affiliates. TutorCruncher also allows for clients to top up their balance, in the form of credit requests, and pay for charges as soon as they are invoiced. Users can easily see all their associated charges from their profiles.