What is GoCardless?
GoCardless is a partner that we have integrated with to allow you to take Direct Debit payments. GoCardless isn't available in every country, but that list is getting longer, have a look at their global reach here.
How much does it cost to use GoCardless?
When GoCardless payout into your business account, they take their fee. This fee can be seen here
How do I set up GoCardless and take Direct Debit payments?
GoCardless is a partner that we collaborate with to allow you to take Direct Debit payments.
Step by step process
- If you have GoCardless already set up, skip to step 5.
- Go to System > Settings > Payment Integrations > Direct Debit Payments and click 'Setup direct debit integration'. If this option isn't available then you can contact [email protected] to discuss access.
- You can fill in an Authorisation Description if you click the edit icon behind 'GoCardless Authorisation Description'. This text will be shown to your clients when they sign up with GoCardless.
- Next sign in with your GoCardless account. If you haven't done this already, click 'Sign Up'.
- If your client already has a Direct Debit mandate set up, you can skip the next step.
- To set a client upon GoCardless, go to a client's page and click 'Setup Direct Debit'. You will be shown a link that you can send to the client that will enable them to sign up. This will create a Direct Debit mandate on their account.
- To pay an invoice using GoCardless, simply go to the invoice and click 'Pay with Direct Debit'.
- The payment is now pending, and you simply have to wait for it to be approved before it can be paid into your account.
- If the payment fails in any way, the invoice will be marked as unpaid.
- Click here for more information on GoCardless, including how to match TutorCruncher to your existing customers.
- Click here for more information on the integrated card payment system Stripe.
- Click here for more information on Invoices.
What does it mean if the GoCardless mandate is showing as inactive?
If a GoCardless mandate is showing as inactive in TutorCruncher, then it means that the mandate has not been approved yet. You will not be able to receive payments or assign this as a default payment method until the mandate is shown as Active.
How long does it take for my GoCardless account to be approved?
An account typically takes 3-4 working days to be approved but can take longer.
How do I link my current GoCardless account to TutorCruncher?
If you have a GoCardless account, you can simply link your accounts by following the normal set up, as explained in the video above.
How do I link my current GoCardless clients to the clients within TutorCruncher?
If you want to link your current GoCardless clients to the clients you have within TutorCruncher, then you can do this using our ‘Customer Matching’ feature. Once you have set up GoCardless within TutorCruncher, go to System > Settings > Payment Integrations > Direct Debit Matching. Check that the email and name of the user match that in GoCardless, then click the ‘Link’ tab. A green checkmark will appear beside the user's name, this indicates that the clients TutorCruncher and GoCardless account has been successfully matched. You can now go to the client's profile and under the heading 'Payment Details' will be details of the match.
How long does it take for a client's GoCardless account to be approved?
A Direct Debit mandate takes 2 working days to be approved.
When can I start taking payments?
As soon as you create your account you can ask your clients to sign up and create payments. You will not be able to receive payments until your account is verified, but clients will still be charged.
How do I ask clients to sign up for GoCardless?
Go to a client's page and click Setup Direct Debit. You can now automatically send out the link that will enable the client to sign up. This will create a Direct Debit mandate on their account.
How long does it take for a payment to get to my account?
Generally, payments take 5 working days to be approved, from the time that you submit the payment from TutorCruncher. If it is the client's first time using GoCardless, it will take an extra day.
What happens when you click 'Pay with Direct Debit'?
As soon as you submit a payment for an invoice, the client receives an email from GoCardless featuring the date they will be charged, usually in 3 working days. They have this time to cancel the payment if they wish. The invoice will then have the status 'Pending'.
There is no button for Pay with Direct Debit on my unpaid invoice, why not?
Either the client's Direct Debit mandate hasn't been created, approved, or you haven't signed up to GoCardless. To check, go to the client's page. If they have a Direct Debit mandate listed, then you can tell if it is inactive by hovering your mouse over the cross if there is one.
More information is available from GoCardless.
How do I use GoCardless to pay Credit Requests?
GoCardless Direct Debit can be used to pay credit requests in the exact same way as payment for unpaid invoices.
Once Direct Debit has been set up for a client, go to Accounting > Raised Credit Requests, select the user's credit request and click 'Pay With Direct Debit'. Just like invoices, the direct debit payment for a credit request will take about 5 days to process.